Tuesday, December 27, 2016

EPILOGUE TO LAST NIGHT'S FESTIVAL OF MORBIDITY

I apologize for dragging you all down my feral rabbit hole last night. My depressive episodes tend to hit hard and fast and they don't play fair. But I've lately found an unexpected and highly illusory eye-of-the-storm place of Zen when I've slammed into the bottom of the hole. Unfortunately, that's where it always seems like a super-awesome opportunity to text emotionally unprepared friends or make epic, increasingly graphic posts that repeatedly use derivatives of the the word despondent. Thankfully, last night's post was not accompanied by an artfully cropped sad-face photo or the lyrics to "Soft Kitty." Anyway, as per the protocol established in the Fucking Stupid Depression I Hate You I Hate You I Hate You Treaty of 1968, my episodes tend to dissolve quite rapidly after 2-3 days. So—after an explanatory epilogue I've allowed to go on way too long—here we are: the end of my morbid monologue on depression and death.

But. Not really.
Do you see that handsome wooden box on the left in this picture? Our very handy neighbor made it from the polished walnut backings of some of the award plaques my dad received in his 50+ years in real estate. Do you see the handsome metallic embellishment on the lid? That's my dad's army dog tag, which our very handy neighbor artfully embedded in masculine bas relief in what I remind you is solid walnut, which is quite solid.

Now.

Do you know what that handsome dog-tag-embellished polished walnut box was constructed for? Do you? It's for my dad's ashes.

Let me repeat that: It's for my dad's ashes. 

Although he's still more or less alive by most medical and legal standards. On the one hand, I should deeply appreciate his forethought and careful planning for what will no doubt be a highly emotional occurrence somewhere in our future. On the other hand, he's currently displaying it under the antique marled-oak baluster-leg side table that's in many ways the focal point of our living room. So every time I walk into the living room and glance unavoidably in the general direction of our antique marled-oak baluster-leg side table, I'm confronted with the fact that HEY! YOUR DAD'S GONNA DIE!

Also.

Do you see the multi-finish, pounded-tin-cornered, faux-slatted wooden box on the right in this picture? It was sent to us filled with frosted holiday delectables by some dear New York friends and it currently occupies a place of honor on the sofa coffee table with the extremely paltry remainders of all the frosted holiday delectables we received this fattening holiday season.

And guess what! My mom, inspired by the forethought and careful planning demonstrated by my dad and discovering her own aesthetic liking for this multi-finish, pounded-tin-cornered, faux-slatted wooden box, has taken these two factors to their logical conclusion: She wants it for her ashes. 

And I bet you know what I'm going to say next: I sure take handsome photographs of boxes. 

But you'll probably also guess that I'm going to say that every time I walk in the living room and glance unavoidably at the place of honor on the sofa coffee table in an ill-advised quest for frosted holiday delectables that for some probably readily discernible reason remain to this day uneaten, I'm confronted with the fact that HEY! YOUR MOM'S GONNA DIE!

Tune in to my next post when I tell you all about Monday's blackout, face plant, concussion and run-in with the cops at the ER! For realz!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental Health Awareness Month: Bipolar Disorder

I’m starting my series of essays with something I know on a cellular level: I was diagnosed bipolar II over a decade ago, and I’ve spent a l...